As of 2016, Brooklyn is the most unaffordable housing market in the nation, Los Angeles is slowly running out of water while the traffic chips away at everyone’s sanity, and Chicago has an ever growing problem of violence and corruption in local government. And though in the American Metropolis the creative mind is in high demand, the competition is steeper than ever before, and the economy in which artists must survive is equally as unforgiving. But despite all this, artists and hopefuls are still pouring into these cities, searching for a creative community that is unlike anywhere else in the country.
Aint-Bad Magazine is looking for your work. We are seeking photographs and written work made by contemporary artists who are thriving, working, building community, or simply trying to get by in New York City, Chicago, or Los Angeles. A-B is interested in artists who have uprooted and displaced themselves from home in order to continue working in the industry, or artists who have seen their very homes in these cities change from the constant influx of people seeking a new life.
Are you living and working in New York, Los Angeles, or Chicago? Have you created work about one of these cities in the past? We want to see how you live in the city and why. What motivates you to get out and shoot? What challenges have you experienced while keeping yourself afloat in these urban environments that are often merciless and sometimes impossible?
This call for entry will be curated into a physical publication, and in addition will be curated into a variety of exhibitions and pop up shows in each of these three cities. By submitting to this call you are eligible for both the printed publication and the gallery exhibitions.
We are excited to announce that the following events and exhibition opportunities have been confirmed for the release of our next issue :
-Exhibition and Launch Party at Filter Space in Chicago, IL Aug 5th – Sept 10th 2016 with a closing reception on Friday Sept 9th
-Launch Party at Objectify 139 in New York City September 2016 (more information soon!)
Submission Guidelines – Deadline June, 1st, 2016.
- Send 15-20 photographs.
- Size your images to : 1000px on the longest side 72dpi, sRGB, jpeg format.
- Written submissions are accepted in .doc and .pdf formats. Maximum of 1500 words.
- Label the files with your name and numeration. (Example: firstname_lastname_1.jpg)
- Please date the work and include relevant titles.
- Accompanying the work please include a detailed artist statement, biography and a link to your website.
- Entry Fee – $20 *This fee supports the cost of printing. Aint-Bad Magazine contains no advertisements. By paying the entry fee, you help ensure that we can continue printing physical products.